PLEASE NOTE: For the 2018–2019 academic year, the Reaching Higher Initiative is offered exclusively to high school students actively participating in the iDEW program.
The IUPUI Reaching Higher program promotes equity and increases access to higher education by offering rigorous credit-bearing courses to qualified students in designated high schools. This program is designed to further IUPUI's and Indiana’s goal of graduating students from high school with proficiency levels aligned with admission standards held by the state’s public colleges and universities.
The purpose and mission of the IUPUI Reaching Higher Initiative:
- Promote undergraduate student learning and success by expanding IUPUI course access and enrollment opportunities.
- Deepen IUPUI’s commitment to community engagement by going out into the community and providing educational opportunities throughout Indianapolis, surrounding townships, and communities.
- Aid in the university’s strategic goal of developing strong community/educational partnerships, foster educational equity, and increase academic engagement.
- Promote excellence in faculty development and leadership training by providing collaborative engagement professional development opportunities.
- Create educational pathways for success for underrepresented students who may not have access to the IUPUI campus. By sending IUPUI faculty into the community, our campus will meet the students where they are and provide them with a sample of IUPUI's commitment and dedication to student access, success, and graduation.
- Accelerate college degree completion by allowing high school students to successfully complete IUPUI courses taught by IUPUI faculty while completing their high school diplomas.
The IUPUI Reaching Higher Initiative:
- Provides collaborative engagement and professional/relational development opportunities.
- Increases curricular alignment between secondary and postsecondary education.
- Decreases education equity gaps in underrepresented and underresourced populations.
- Delivers onsite academic engagement with target student groups.
- Strengthens diversity recruitment efforts.
- Stimulates interest in IUPUI application and enrollment.
- Promotes IUPUI as a strong community partner.
Working collaboratively with IUPUI faculty and high school teachers, the IUPUI Reaching Higher Initiative will:
- Analyze and apply cultural content to project-based learning within the classroom.
- Develop student critical thinking and critical inquiry skills.
- Advance students' academic success, college readiness, and transition to higher education.
The IUPUI Reaching Higher Program is more than IUPUI simply showing up at the high school and teaching a class. This intentional program is focused on building relational engagement with high school administrators and teachers.